Jag is a 4- month- old kitten that was presented on emergency to Switzer Veterinary Clinic. The owners had applied over-the-counter flea medication purchased at a local thrift store. A few hours later they noticed Jag began to have muscle tremors that worsened as the day went on to the point where he could not voluntarily move. On examination Jag’s whole body was in tremors and he was barely conscious. He was immediately bathed and Dr. Reichardt admitted him to the clinic, placed an intravenous catheter for fluids as well as medications to help reduce his muscle tremors. His treatments continued for 48 hours and he was discharged with no lasting effects of the toxin.
Jag’s owners were initially not going to bring him into the clinic due to expenses, but they were able to borrow some money from a family member to cover the emergency fee. However, they could not afford any additional expense for hospitalization and treatment and were considering euthanasia. We (Switzer Veterinary Clinic, Dr. Reichardt, Jag and Jag’s family) want to thank you for your life-saving donations. If it had not been for Michigan Animal Health Foundation, Companion Animal Fund, Jag would not have been able to receive the care he needed.